Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Adventure is Out There!


So, a little bit of background information first.  I've been offered a short term assignment with my company in Germany and of course, I said yes.  Because really, who could turn that kind of offer down?  

I try to live my life along the lines of the famous Mark Twain quote:


Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Note: If you're reading this blog, be prepared for regular quotes, trivia, historical facts and pop culture references...consider yourself warned.

So, about two weeks ago I headed off for my grand adventure.  I've travelled around Europe with friends for holidays, but I've never come close to doing anything like this before, especially on my own.  I was so excited and terrified to do this. My feelings were pretty much along the lines of, "I'm so excited, I'm so...scared."



I hopped off the plane at Frankfurt Main with a dream and my cardigan...wait that's a Miley Cyrus song.  Ok, but really, my adventures began almost immediately.  As is usual practice here in Deutschland, I was booked to take a train from Frankfurt Airport to Kassel and then pick up a cab to Morschen.  

Never heard of Morschen? Me neither.  Well, it's a small town of about 3500 people (Or so they say...I've counted approximately 20 total in two weeks here), right smack in the middle of Germany in the state of Hesse.  It's nice, quiet and clean, but nothing happens here.  Found the bank, supermarket and train station so far, and that's pretty much all I think I'll find here.

Anyways, back to the train.  So of course this was a great idea in theory.  In practice, it was me lugging two 40 pound suitcases, a book bag, and a laptop case with two computers.  And then my original train got cancelled! What a freaking trip. But thanks to some awesome people who are willing to help, I managed to lug everything onto the replacement train, make the connection, grab a taxi and get to the middle-of-nowhere Morschen. Yay!  And I even found another American who's German is worse than mine! We're really knocking those stereotypes out of the park here. 

Work has been really good.  I have some pretty awesome co-workers who are amazingly nice and fun to hang out with, and all speak perfect English.  But I definitely need to learn more German so I started lessons this week.

Ok, this is super long so that's all for now. Tschüss!

No comments:

Post a Comment