Wednesday, September 26, 2012

First Weekend: Marburg

Well the first thing I realized while here is that I absolutely love to travel and I want to see everything I can while I'm here, it just isn't the same as traveling the world with my friends (BVC rules). Nevertheless, I have already managed a few small trips around the local area already.

My first full weekend here I went to a small university city named Marburg, about an hour away from Morschen.  Marburg is a pretty cool medieval (or Gothic I suppose) town that is exactly what you picture when you think old European/German city...it's got winding cobblestone streets, half-timbered houses, a cuckoo clock in the city hall, and gorgeous old architecture.  Plus there are random artworks throughout the city depicting different Grimm's fairytales.

Fun Fact: Marburg is the home of the world's oldest Protestant founded university.

There are two main sites to see in Marburg, the Marburger Schloss castle and the Elisabethkirche - St. Elisabeth's Church.  Here are some pictures for your enjoyment.

City Hall - Cuckoo Clock and all
 
Cool old cobblestone street

Marburger Schloss Castle from the path below

And from the courtyard
 
St. Elisabeth's Church from the outside - clearly not taken by me as I was there during daylight hours only

And one from the inside
 


No comments:

Post a Comment