Monday, October 8, 2012

Random Observations about Germany

Ok, this will probably be an ongoing list of things I think are noteworthy throughout my time here.  In just a few weeks, I've already started to gather a random list of things I've found interesting or different about the area, the food, the people, etc.  Some are confirmations of stereotypes, some are fun surprises, and some are helpful hints and tips for the future traveller to Germany.


1. Ladies, (and perhaps gentlemen) leave your heels at home: In hindsight, totally common sense.  But I wish somebody would have told me this before I packed several of my standard work pumps. Cobblestones and brick walkways are everywhere. I think some of my heels are one street crack away from snapping off. Thankfully, my winter clothes / shoes shipment has finally arrived with some flats!




2. Don't you want something to wash that down with?:  I was surprised to learn that most of my colleagues don't drink anything (even water) with lunch.  I don't know if its a German thing or a regional thing or what.  I, however still like a soda or a water with my meal.


3. What's Non-Alcoholic Beer?: Ok, my motto's gone to hell already. I admit, this one strikes me as weird.  But I've found out that it's actually fairly common to drink non-alcoholic beer here (And yes, I know beer is a great post-workout drink).  But really, while I love the taste of all sorts of beer, I just don't get it.  Non-alchohic beer just kind of defeats the purpose for me.  Don't think I'll be having many of those.





4. No Sunday Funday?: I knew this one coming into my trip here but I still find myself sad enough over it to add to the list.  Nothing is open on Sunday. Nothing. And around here everything is closed by 8 every other day so it's pretty different from the States. Not bad, just different.


5. They love their dogs: And they take them everywhere! Seriously, on trains, in restaurants, even at the airport! I've seen people bring their dogs everywhere.  I won't be surprised to find dogs in an office or hospital next.

Yup, that's a dog on the train from Kassel


Ok, that's all I've got for now.  I'm sure more will come soon but I was a bit of a hermit this weekend due to being sick so nothing exciting happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment