Sunday, October 21, 2012

Troubles with Trains

I'm seriously starting to think I'm jinxed with the German train system.  After my minor troubles with Deutsche Bahn upon my arrival in Germany, I thought that would be it.  But no....never.

Yesterday, on my way to Berlin, everything that could go wrong with the trains did.  Seriously.

My train to Kassel was cancelled, which meant that I missed my connecting train to Berlin.  The next train to Kassel was delayed by 20 minutes, so I didn't even get there until an hour after I was supposed to.  Then I had to go buy a train ticket for another train to berlin since I had a discounted ticket on my first train and couldn't use it on any other train except that specific one...Awesome, that's another 70 Euro I wasn't prepared to spend.

Anyways, bought the ticket for the next train heading to Berlin from Kassel.  And guess what happens right after I purchase?  The train is cancelled! Un-freaking-believable.   At least this time, I bought the full price ticket so I could use it on any train heading on the route I needed and there was a replacement train coming soon.  Then that train was 15 minutes late!

And since, with my new ticket, I now had to make an extra connection in Hannover, which I would now probably miss.  However, I did manage to get lucky here with Deutsche Bahn's crappy service Saturday, because the connecting train in Hannover was 10 minutes late, so I managed to get on the right connection. 

After one extra change, two cancelled trains and three delayed trains, I finally made it to Berlin two hours later.  But, I have to admit, it was worth the hassle in the end.  Berlin is amazing!  But more on that later...


Deutsche Bahn still sucks though. I thought Germans were supposed to be very strict about promptness, but I was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment